Martin Carter
(1927-1997)
Image hosting by Photobucket
Google
Tuesday, October 04, 2005

For Mereya:

Listening to the Land


That night I left you on the bridge
I bent down
kneeling on my knee
and pressed my ear to listen to the land

I bent down
listening to the land
but all I heard was tongueless whispering

On my right hand was the sea behind the wall
The sea that had no business in the forest
and I bent down
listening to the land
and all I heard was tongueless whispering
as if some buried slave wanted to speak again

(Martin Carter in The Hill of Fire Glows Red, 1951)

3 Comments:
Anonymous Mereya said...
thanks for the poem. Every one out there you defintely have to read Martin Carter's work. he's one of the most talented writer to ever publish his work and i wish more people would read him.

Blogger jebratt said...
Thanks M,

I just wanted to let you know that I am very proud of how well you are doing in your studies... I appreciate you and and all the wonderful things that you do and I would like to wish you the very best in 2006...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
tanxx for posting this poem we needed it for art so thankxxxxxxxxxxxx a lot!!!!!!!!!

The big six!!!!

Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com